It’s Wednesday, I’m super excited to start dinner because I’ve been writing all day and are hungry as a wolf. What happens? I’m taking all of the ingredients out of the fridge that I’m going to use and suddenly realize that I have no carrots. I had to think fast and re-think my whole dinner plan for the day. I take a deep breath, look into the fridge and into the kitchen cabinets and I start thinking. I took some of this and some of that and placed it on the kitchen counter. I thought to myself ‘ This is what I have to work with, make something great out of it. ‘ I decided to make a casserole. I love making casserole dishes when I have no idea what to make. I know that they are perfect when it comes to throwing a variety of ingredients together top it off with some cheese and you suddenly went from dirt to gold in the matter of minutes.
The thing is that I’ve always, ever since I was a kid had ideas on how to use what you have and make something great out of it. What can I say, It runs in the family. Both my mom and my Grandmother are just like that as well.
Hetty’s leftover casserole is what I like to call today’s dish. The great thing about this dish is that you can use what ever comes to mind, what ever leftovers you got in the fridge you can use. I used potatoes in my dish, but rice or pasta works just as well. I used ground beef but you could use any kind of meat, or fish that you got. Same goes for the vegetables, use what you have laying around the fridge and in the cabinets. That’s the beauty of it, using what you have an making something great out of it. I’m going to give you my recipe for today’s leftover casserole, and remember you can easily change out any ingredients with something else that you have in the fridge or in the cabinets, they sky is the limit.
400 g ground beef
800 g of canned tomatoes
2 celery stalks (chopped)
350 g canned corn
184 g canned mushrooms
1 onion ( chopped)
6 small/medium potatoes ( sliced)
1-2 dl water
400 g broccoli
Spices used in this recipe:
all around spice blend
1 teaspoon of dark bone broth
Tuscan spice blend
1 clove of minced garlic
How to make Hetty’s leftover casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Then start slicing up and boil the potatoes. While the potatoes are boiling, chop up celery and the onion. When the potatoes are done, add them into a pasta drainer and put them aside for now.
- Put some butter into a skillet and cook the ground beef. Season with All around spice, Tuscan spice blend, chili flakes, pepper, garlic, basil and oregano.
- While the ground beef is cooking, clean and slice up the broccoli and put them into salted, boiling water and let it cook for 5 minutes, drain them and put them aside.
- Add some butter into a pot and add the chopped onions and celery. Let them simmer until they got a golden color. Then add the potatoes, the canned tomatoes, water, canned corn, canned mushrooms and last but not least the ground beef. Add a teaspoon of powdered bone broth and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Butter a casserole dish. When the dish is done cooking add them into the casserole dish, gently slice the broccoli and sprinkle some grate cheese on top before putting in to the oven for about 20 minutes.
Serve it up with some garlic bread on the side and maybe salad. This was just something I threw together for dinner today and luckily for me it turned out great, it could easily have gone wrong but it didn’t. I’m really happy it turned out as great as it did and that I got to share the recipe with all of you. hopefully there’s someone out there reading this. if not then this recipe will be floating around space for no reason. Either way, as I’ve said before, it’s all about creativity and using what you have and making some great out of it. It takes time getting comfortable in the kitchen but if you’re not already don’t worry it will happen eventually just give it time.
This was it form my side of the Kitchen today. I hope y’all have an amazing day and I hope to see you back here tomorrow for a new post.
Until next time..