The day is finally here January 8th and I’m officially back. I’ve got an exciting week-menu planned this week. Today I’m making Hetty’s Shepherds pie. I’d never made shepherds pie before yet I decided to make my own version of it. Bold move but hey, it worked out great.
Ingredients ( Mash potatoes. )
2 pounds of potatoes
1/5 a cup of milk
4 TBS of butter
Ingredients for the filling:
1 pound of ground beef
1 1/2 TBS of tomato paste
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 cup of beef broth( or vegetable broth)
1 TBS of cornflour ( mixed in a bowl with 2TBS of water. )
Chili seasoning blend
Tuscan spice blend
How to make Hetty’s shepherds pie
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the potatoes, the onion, 2 cloves of garlic and the carrot. Then boil the potatoes in unsalted water for about 25 minutes. ( depending on size.) While the potatoes are boiling, dice up the onion and the carrot.
- Add some butter and olive oil into a iron skillet. Add the diced carrot, onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic. Let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until they reach a golden color.
- Add the ground beef, season with pepper, chili seasoning blend, and Tuscan spice blend. Cook until it reaches a golden color. Add the tomato paste and cook for additionally 1 minute. Add the beef broth and cook for additionally 4 more minutes.
- Mix together cornflour and water and add it into the mix. Let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the water. Heat up the milk with 4 TBS of butter. Pour the milk/butter mixture into the potatoes, not all at once. You might not need it all. You only need enough to make the mash fluffy. Season with salt and pepper as you might wish. ( Remember to taste, so it doesn’t get too salty.)
- Add the filling into a pre sprayed/buttered casserole dish, spread the mash potatoes evenly on top. Sprinkle some Parmagain over the top and put it into the oven for 20 minutes to cook. Serve it up with a salad on the side, maybe some bread as well.
I hope you like this dish as much as my family and I did. Hope you have an amazing day and I hope to see you back here tomorrow for a new post.