I love a good stew, I also happen to live a good casserole. So why not mix the two of them together? I needed to find something new, something I haven’t made a hundred times before. I wanted to make stew and a casserole but I couldn’t decide witch one of them to make. So I decided to blend the two together and make a stew casserole special.
Hettys’s ground beef stew has some similarities with poor mans stew, and I love that. I know that summer season might not be the best time to make stew or a casserole but I was craving a comfort food type of meal so this stew casserole was perfect as today’s dish.
1 Pound ground beef
4 Medium/large carrots
4 Sticks celery
1 Large onion
14 oz. Canned crushed tomatoes
1-2 cups of water ( pending on how thick you want the stew to be.)
All around spice blend
Tuscan spice blend
1 teaspoon of powdered beef broth
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the carrots and the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half, then in quarters before slicing them up and put them into a large pot. Slice up the carrots and add them to the pot as well. Fill the pot up with water so it covers the potatoes and the carrots. Add a pinch of salt before you bring it to a boil.
2. While the potatoes and the carrots are boiling. Start by cooking the ground beef on medium heat. Season with pepper, chili flakes, all around spice blend and Tuscan spice blend. While the ground beef is cooking; wash the celery. Cut it in half lengthwise and chop it up and add it to a bowl. Peel the onion and chop it up into dices and add them to the bowl with the celery.
3. When the ground beef is reached a golden color put it aside for now. Put some butter into a large thick bottom pot. When the butter has melted add in the celery and the onions. Let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes on low- medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. When the potatoes and the carrots are done boiling, drain the water and add the potatoes and carrots in with the onion and celery. Then add the cooked ground beef, the box of canned tomatoes and 1-2 cups of water. Add inn two TBS of Ketchup and season with pepper, chili flakes, all around spice blend and Tuscan spice blend.
4. Let it cook for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. After 15 minutes add in one teaspoon of powdered beef broth and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
5. Spray a casserole dish with a non-stick spray and add the stew into the casserole dish. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top before putting it into the oven for about 10 minutes. (Or until the cheese has melted.) when you take the casserole out of the oven sprinkle with some grated Parmesan on top before serving.
Serving tip: Garlic bread and a great salad is perfect to serve this dish with.
I hope y’all like this dish as much as we do. If you have leftovers you could easily put it in the fridge or the freezer and eat it at any times.
I hope all of you are having an amazing Wednesday and I hope to see y’all back here tomorrow for a new post. Coming up tomorrow is Hetty’s strawberries and mascarpone.
Signing off the kitchen for tonight and looking forward to tomorrow’s post already.